Holi Special! Bake Mawa Gujiyas with your Kids
posted by Vidhya , February 07, 2019
Cooking with kids is always fun. It's a great family activity, and in fact, science encourages us to let our children cook along with us. As per the researchers at the University of Alberta, the easiest way to get kids to eat healthy food is to give them an apron!
As this month is all about Holi, our recipe is also a Holi special recipe. It is the Gujiya Recipe. It's the traditional
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe,
For the Outer Layer
- All purpose flour / Maida - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 tbsps + 1 tbsp for brushing
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- A pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- Milk Powder - 1/2 cup
- Condensed Milk - 1/4 cup
- Crushed Pistachios and Almonds - 2tbsps
- Elaichi powder - 1/2
For the Glaze:
- Milk - 1 tbsp
- Condensed Milk - 1 tbsp
Preparing the Outer layer:
- Parental Step: Add the
all purposeflour, a pinch of salt and the ghee to a wide bowl.
- Children Step: Let your kid mix the flour and ghee together.
- Parental Step: Please ensure the ghee and flour are well combined.
- Parental Step: Add 1/2 cup of milk in the center.
- Children Step: Let them mix the flour and form the dough.
- Parental Step: You can help them to knead the dough. Assist them in preparing a soft dough like this.
- Parental Step: Now cover the dough with damp cloth and set aside.
Preparing the filling:
- Parental Step: In a microwave safe bowl, add the milk powder, pistachios, cardamom powder
- Children Step: Let them mix the filling and help them keep the filling bowl in the microwave and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Parental Step: Remove the mixture from microwave and mix again.
- Children Step: Help them keep the filling in the microwave again and cook again for 30 seconds.
- Parental Step: Remove the filling from microwave and mix. The filling is ready now.
- Parental Step: Now take the dough and pinch small lemon sized balls.
- Children Step: Let them roll the dough into soft, smooth balls.
- Children Step: Using a rolling pin, let your child roll the ball into a small round like roti. Help them on a required basis and adjust the shape.
- Children Step: Let your child spread the edges of the rolled dough with water using their fingertip.
- Children Step: Help them take about 1 tbsp of the prepared
mawafilling and place it in the center.
- Children and Parental Step: Carefully bring the edges together and press the edges and form like a semi-circle. Make sure the edges are sealed properly. Using a fork, press the edges to form the striped pattern.
Follow the same procedure and fill the remaining
Baking & Glazing:
- Parental Step: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Children Step: Let them place all the prepared Gujiyas in the baking tray and help them brush the top of the
gujiyaswith ghee or oil using a pastry brush.
- Parental Step: Place the
gujiyacarefully in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Parental Step: Meanwhile the glaze can be prepared. In a small bowl add the 1 tbsp of milk and condensed milk and whisk them well. After 8 minutes, remove the
gujiyasfrom the oven and flip them.
- Children Step: Let your child apply the condensed milk glaze using the pastry brush on the flipped side.
- Parental Step: Place the glazed
gujiyasand bake again for 8 minutes at 400 deg C.
- Parental Step: After 8 minutes remove the
gujiyascarefully and flip them again. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 deg F.
- Children Step: Let your child apply the condensed milk glaze using the pastry brush on the other side now.
- Parental Step: Place the glazed
gujiyasand bake again for 4 minutes at 350 deg C. (so overallbaking time is 20 minutes. 16 minutes at 400 deg F and 4 minutes at 350 deg F)
Let it cool and enjoy with your kid. :-)
- Do not add any additional water while preparing the dough.
- Adjust the condensed milk quantity as per your sweet preferences.
- Also, add nuts of your choice. Raisins can be included too.
- Glazing is entirely optional.
- Instead of APF, you can use 1/2 cup of APF and 1/2 cup of wheat flour.
Toka Chef Eureka Moment:
During filling and shaping the
I: Bring the edges and form a semi-circle. (I explained and showed him how to do one)
Kiddo: Ohh, it's like taco amma. Why can't you say like that? Place the filling like in taco and seal the edges. It's
I: Rolling eyes and huh moment. (See how they relate the foods)
Toka Chef Yum Moment:
While tasting the filling,
Kiddo: The filling is so yum amma, why can't we eat just like that?
I: Grinning ear to ear as kiddo approved the filling. :-)